Day 32 – Washington DC

—— Converted from outline form: 2013-9-15 ——

On this day our objective was to meet with Carrie, since it was the only day she was available, and then drive down to our next stop, Atlanta. This ended up being possibly not the best plan, which I’ll explain.

We started the day with a 7-11 Slurpie, and called Carrie to find out where to go. Headed to her apartment and saw her! Said our Hello’s and How Are You’s. Her apartment was really cool (although I don’t remember it at all) and we sat around talking for a while. Then we went to get lunch at an Indian restaurant. We got kebabs, and lots of them, and a few of Carrie’s friends joined us and we had a great time.

With bellies ful we went back to her apartment. We spent a while trying to decide what to do and it was one of those moments where it became impossible to decide, so in the end we watched Labyrinth, which was great. After the movie and some more chilling, Carrie was headed out to a friend’s party, and we were invited. Everyone was very cool and we sat around eating crab and chatting about various things. Then it was time to leave, and we stopped at the supermarket on the way back. Said goodbye to Carrie after gathering our stuff, and got out on the road at around 9 or 10 in the evening.

Then began a long night drive to Atlanta. This was down highway 95, which is ultimately one of the most boring highways in the nation. Essentially it is a homogenous palindrome of trees – road – median – road – trees.

Sean drove first while I tried to sleep. I wasn’t that successful at sleeping either. At some point through North Carolina Sean got tired and handed the wheel over to me. I drove, and drove, and drove. I was slightly entertained by seeing all the “South of the Border” billboards, advertising some kind of tourist trap. Finally passed it, and was half tempted to stop because of the power of marketing, but didn’t. It got harder and harder to stay awake but I struggled. Listened to the Moby Dick audio book, and then tried listening to Frank Sinatra and singing along quietly (as to not wake Sean). At one point I started drifting and hit the loud road border noise makers, which jerked me alert and full of adrenaline for a little while, and then it started happening again. Eventually I decided I was way too tired to drive and we needed to stop at the next rest stop, which was 70 miles away. So I struggled for that last hour or so stretch, and FINALLY at 5:00 in the morning arrived at the border of Georgia and South Carolina, parked in a spot, and slept.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.